Sunday, March 25, 2012

Final Post

My idea is for a machine that would teach basketball players how to properly shoot free throws. It would be able to adjust height depending on the height of the user. Once activating, it would shoot a perfect free throw each time, demonstrating the correct method of shooting one to people who don’t shoot them well.


Summary


To review, my initial idea was to create a machine that would instruct any player of any basketball level how to properly shoot free throws. The machine would be able to adjust the height to whatever height the user was and also, the process would be able to be slowed down. The machine would be able to shoot a free throw perfectly any time from any height. Thus, it would prove to be a effective tool for all basketball players, especially those professionals who can't seem to master the art of the foul shot. 

How The Idea Has Evolved


For starters, I don't believe this machine can solely teach free throws. While it is certainly a very important facet of basketball games, only having it teach free throws limits the machine's possible capacity to help players in every area of the game. Additionally, when studying my competitors, I realized the main ones would be basketball shooting camps run by coaches, which stress every shot when instructing.  Because of the machine's high technological capabilities, it will be expensive and therefore, I won't be able to compete if I limit the machine to merely free throws. Thus, I must expand its capabilities. 


Another way the idea has changed is the operating system it will use. Before we were lectured about the various operating systems that one may use, I didn't really give it much thought. After we had to write a post on operating systems, I had to give serious thought as to whether I wanted a regular operating system or a command-based system. I decided that the machine would need a command-based system, like Linux, in order to make its operation most user-friendly and prudent for quick and efficient use. With this, a manual would also be included when the machine was purchased to list any commands needed to operate it. 


In addition, however, I later reasoned that it would be irritating for the user to have to adjust the machine's functions every few seconds, especially if they were extremely focussed in that particular moment. This led me to believe that a voice-command software function should be added so that if the user wanted to adjust something, this could be done as quickly as could possibly be. Because of this, the machine would require internet access the same way SIRI does to recognize commands. Thus, it would also need a firewall that would prevent it from attaining any computer viruses necessary.


Outline of What is Needed


First, I would need a computer programmer to advise me what pieces of machinery to purchase for the main body of the machine. I would need a command-based operating system and a cryptographer to program the machine and teach me the commands. I would then need to set up a social media presence on many outlets and professionals to try it out to give it an endorsement. I would need to get in contact with their agents in order to gain their participation. I would also need to start an account at a place such as dropbox.com in order to enable cloud computing amongst those working on it. I highly doubt I can attain all of these rather expensive things, but it is nice to dream!

1 comment:

  1. this is a very cool idea, coming from a fellow basketball player. Free throws are one of most critical aspects of the game, and people always struggle besides practicing. I like how the idea evolved.

    ReplyDelete